Monday, March 31, 2008

I was so proud of Bill when he decided to drive to NYC on 9-11 (His 30th birthday) and offer his help in whatever way he could. He was an EMT, a nursing student and a sergeant in the Army. He spent about 4 days there, staying at a doctor’s apartment he’d befriended. He helped firefighters and rescue workers with their lacerations and bumps, gave oxygen when it was needed, and even did a little DNA testing. He showed up at Patrice’s bridal shower that weekend and gosh, I don’t remember ever being so happy to see someone safe and smiling and feeling such pride in this person, this big ol goofy man did such wonderful, important things.

I never thought that doing all that would end up killing him. I never thought Bill would be considered a Victim of September 11th…until today.

We received some news and found that the cause of Bill’s death was definitely the sarcoidosis he contracted from working at ground zero. They were not sure, but my mother in law is friendly with the medical examiner and he gave her some information. The disease had spread from his lungs to his heart, spleen, liver, kidneys and skin.
His heart was very enlarged. And the last thing the doctor said was “This man died because of September 11th, and the selfless things he did that day. He is a hero, and he should be considered a victim of those attacks”.

Needless to say, I’m just struck with a ton of emotion and I don’t know what to say right now except that I am doing ok and please don’t worry about me.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me;"

No comments: